Tuesday, February 4, 2014

What Obamas Election Means to Black America

When reading an article in our textbook titled "What Obamas Election Means to Black America", written by Steven Gray, I really began to think.  I began to think how only a few short decades ago, blacks were shamed and hated by many, but today, one is our president.  This was a huge stepping stone for us as Americans to all be apart of.  Something to think about how quickly our country took a change for the better is how only 10 years before the election, Atlanta mayor Shirley Franklin stated "it is inconceivable to any of us that we would see an African American win a national party's ticket and then compete effectively.  This is just mind boggling how quickly a change, and a large one at that, can truely take place.

On another note, the article states that "Obama's candidacy inspired scores of blacks to vote for the first time".  When I read this line, I began to ask myself if that is the only reason why he won.  I feel as though if you are 33, like Michael Johnson, and have never voted before, but decide to just because there is a possibility for America to get its first black president, then he should not have been able to vote at all.  That is not a good reason to vote for someone who is going to be in charge of our country, and our futures.

No comments:

Post a Comment