Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Boring chain stores

In a recent article that I read titled "In Praise of Chain Stores", written by Virginia Postrel, she states that America is known to be a "boring" location for foreign travelers.  She says this because no matter where in America you go, you're bound to run into a walmart, mcdonalds, starbucks, and so on.  But for those traveling from other countries, may not be used to these stores.  They arn't used to a Walmart, where they can buy food, clothing, and electronics all in one mega-store.  If you were used to shopping at a mom and pop store all your life, and you walked into a giant store like walmart, wouldn't you be amazed?  I get where the author is coming from, for myself, when I travel to other states, a lot of the things I see are very similar to my home area, but many things are different.  On a recent travel to Pigeon Forge, Tennessee, just on the main drag, you will find mini golf, go cart racing, Titanic museum, bungie jumping, and more restaurants than you could imagine.  I have personally never traveled to another country, but I feel that is more exciting to most then looking at an old historic building for an hour.  And if you are one to look at old historic places, America has many to view, including the statue of liberty.  So how is it that someone could call America the most boring country to travel to just because we have chain stores?

No comments:

Post a Comment