Wednesday, October 2, 2013
Race
In an article I read, "Race and the White Coat" by Rahul K. Parikh, he states that minorities, specifically African Americans, are not as healthy as whites. He say's they are known for higher rates of cardiovascular disease, diabetes, HIV, cancer, asthma, and other chronic illnesses. He then tell's us that doctors do stereotype other minorities, which I think is fair! Some people are upset by this, but it is not racism. Minorities are known to not take medical treatments as serious as whites. They are more likely to ignore what the doctor tells them, such as not taking the prescribed medicine. If I were a doctor, and I had a patient continuously coming in for the same issues, just to find out he is not taking his medicine, I would begin to stop prescribing him. In the same sense, I would also be less likely to give him a kidney transplant over someone else, who has been cooperative with me. So being biased against minorities is not a problem, as these show in studies to be true in many cases.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment