In a recent news article I read where a woman driving under the influence crashed, killing six others. To begin, I agree that people make bad mistakes one time, but maybe if we gave up on second chances, we would no longer have issues like these because people would actually think before doing something dumb if they know something, such as driving in this case will be taken away for life.
This girl is currently 21, but in 2010, she got a DUI, and in only 1 year in 2011, her license was reinstated. Now only two years later, this same girl once again, was under the influence, and possibly drinking and driving as alcohol was found at the scene, and she killed six innocent others. If our government did not believe in giving these "second chances" to everybody, these issues would be on a decline and innocent lives would not be lost. We all know drinking and driving is dangerous, and if you do it once, you will do it again. So if in 2010 we would have taken this girls license for good, the six deaths that occurred because of her could have been prevented.
Of course, you have those that say, people will still drive without a license, so why not give it back to them? Well, we need more laws in effect. If you loose you license due to something as harmful as driving under the influence where you are risking lives, even if no lives are hurt and you are caught, we need to treat this the same as though lives were hurt, and possibly, just lock these people up for good!
http://www.aol.com/article/2014/02/11/olivia-culbreath-driver-arrested-in-deadly-crash-had-dui/20827718/?icid=maing-grid7|maing15|dl13|sec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D441562
I think now that her license should be permanently revoked now but I honestly do not think she will drive drunk ever again. She now has to live the rest of her life knowing that she killed 6 other people because she had to drive and drink (at least normal people would never drive drunk again). So, that being said, I think she is now living out a life sentence. What a sad story. I think it would be kind of an impossible feat to lock up all the drunk drivers. It would also be expensive to lock all of them up for good. Though you are right that drunk driving is serious and should be more punishable by law. Maybe we should make the legal age someone can drive 18?
ReplyDeleteConvictions are not nothing -- a conviction on a personal record can be enough to make it difficult to get a good job for the rest of one's life. I agree to an extent, the problem is that many young people do not realize the long-term consequences until they are older.
ReplyDelete